Ehd e Wafa Reminds me of my College life.

Poster of Ehde Wafa drama
Poster of Ehd e Wafa drama serial


A month ago, Ehd e Wafa Drama started streaming on TV screens and within no time captured the attention of most Pakistani drama lovers.

When I started watching this drama, I could remember the golden old days of my college life. It is a true reflection of my college days especially when the four friends are at college in their final year.

I can relate greatly to what happened in the starting episodes of it.

When we were in our final year, we had a tussle with our college management and Physical training instructors (PTIs)

The trend with previous batches (entries) was such that, final year students were kept relaxed when it came to rules and routine.

For example, the PTIs did not insult seniors in front of juniors, seniors could have different hairstyle (relaxed cutting), seniors would become easy in following certain rules. Etc.

All this was because the seniors would command on juniors for all college matters.

But things were different when we entered our final year. We were not relaxed as compared to previous batches, we were monitored by PTIs, etc.

Plus, there was a new trend, bunking college and enjoying food and other things. This trend was at the peak when we were in 1st year, and there was a restaurant named "Baojee" from where students could buy food and provide to students who could not go outside. That started as a business.

As the behavior of management and PTIs was not expected (when comparing with previous entries) our command holding fellows resigned and it was like collective disobedience for not being on good terms. But there were those who still wanted good relations with management, so they did not resign. I was standing with the majority (those who resigned).

For all this conflict and resigning, no one seemed concerned about having good relations with us and things got worse. So, the management was looking for very small reasons to expel our fellows from college.

One such incident happened when my fellows, who were scholarship holders, got their checks. When they went outside college with permission, to withdraw the amount from the bank and returned late in the evening, they were expelled from college. I don't know whether something else happened with them or being late was the only reason for expulsion. But I believe there were no other reasons.

Outrageous at this, I posted on Facebook something which included,
"Lakh di, crore di, Arab di lanat". I was sure that no teacher was added on Facebook at that time, but my brother messaged me, What Happened, and I told him the reason, he asked to delete this post as I may not get expelled too. So, I deleted that post, believing that the expectations and feelings are different on the other side which I may not understand.

Another incident happened during intermediate exams.

We were not allowed to bring anything from outside the college be it an edible thing. But the culture was to bring anything must as a feeling of satisfaction. We also used to wander in the streets after the exam was over.

One day, as the relations were not good with PTIs, when we returned college after attempting the paper, Mam was standing to welcome us with unwelcome expressions. Probably, someone had informed Mam that we were bringing some stuff from outside college (mostly edible things).

We were made to stand in line and all stuff was snatched. And then we were told
"Pack your bags and leave the college all of you"

Mam was outrageous.

We were all prepared to leave happily.

But I had those feelings which I cannot express here.


Picture with friends while returning from exam center
While returning from the exam center

A group photo with friends and juniors
Group photo with friends and juniors


(Seven years of life, and you are expelled officially for bringing something from outside, what about people caring about us at homes?)

But there was no chance, I was preparing my mind to tell this to my big brother, that we are expelled, and you have to bear expenses for living outside until exams are over.

Then I called. I informed him about the situation, and expenses to come. He seemed okay, but again there was no chance. I don't know what the inner feelings were.

We were packing and were serious to leave when our fellow and the then Head boy came and said, no one should go, I will talk to Mam. She is angry but everything will be fine.

We stopped. And in the evening, I messaged my big brother,
"We are in college, no need to worry"
(Something like that)

And the reply was,
"Good" (As I can recall it)

And then during practical exams, things were relaxed. The whole college was on leave. Only those who survived the wave of expulsions, were in college remembering those fellows who were expelled due to minor reasons.

The plot was the same, but the voices were different. And history was all-time different.

Ehd Wafa Drama's first four episodes remind me of that scene when our shining fellows were expelled for being late.

While I cannot say, what were their feelings, I had a love for them, then and always.



I the end, I would like to say, management was not that much wrong which we percieved, but somehow the mistake was both sided. We were reluctant to adopt new rules, and management was committed to making us follow the pattern. So the clash was unenviable. What we lost was the right to have an official farewell ceremony and a passing out parade which I longed the most. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Myth of Freelancing | Opinion

Creating Drives

Dialogue Between Pen and Pencil